By Utility & Wonder
We are SPF:a, an industrious group of designers, thinkers, and humanists.
Our practice is anchored in a rigorous pragmatic, holistic philosophy. We uncover truths, pursue the unexplored, and challenge conventions in architectural and urban organization; we speak the language of our builders and engineers, and we have a strong culture of critique and communication.
We want to make things to perform better, to look better, and to awaken their environment. And so we give care to our clients’ goals and investments and endeavor to balance them with our pursuit to enhance the human experience and our communities.
We are an award-winning practice specializing in cultural institutions, civic projects, and purposeful architectural works that touch both the private and public spirit.
Zoltan E. Pali, FAIAFounder + Design Principal
Zoltan leads SPF:a's award-winning studio, a team that has been recognized with over 80 national and regional design accolades. Prior to founding SPF:a in 1990 with partner Judit, he worked closely alongside Jerrold E. Lomax, FAIA, a case study maestro and one of the original LA-12. In 2005, Zoltan was inducted into the American Institute of Architects College of Fellows, at the time, one of the youngest architects to have ever received the designation.
Judit M. Fekete-Pali, LEED APFounder + Creative Director
Judit been responsible for the strategic direction and artistic vision of SPF:a since launching the firm with partner Zoltan in 1990. Aside from serving as the firm’s managing principal, she is also the head curator of the SPF:a Gallery, founded in 2007 and focused on the symbiotic relationship between art and architecture.
Damon SurfasSenior Associate
Frank LopezSenior Associate
Siddhartha Majumdar, AIASenior Associate
Adam O. Sauer, AIAAssociate
Richard KassabSenior Designer
Ian CamarilloArchitectural Renderer
Diane PhamDirector of Business Development
Bes ChanturidzeShop Manager
Kevin GriffinShop Manager
- Engineering News Record California Landscape/Urban Development Project of the Year Rainbow Bridge 2018
- Los Angeles Business Council, Landscape Architecture Award Rainbow Bridge 2018
- Los Angeles Business Council, Design Concept Award Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles 2018
- California Council of Engineering, Honor Award Rainbow Bridge 2018
- Southern California Development Forum Design Award Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles 2018
- Golden Nugget Award, Commercial WE3 at Water's Edge 2017
- California Preservation Foundation Design Award Morgan Phoa Library & Residence 2017
- AIA California Council Award, Single-Family Residential Double Stick 2016
- Residential Architect Design Awards, Renovation/Adaptive Reuse Morgan Phoa Library & Residence 2016
- BUILD News Architecture Awards, Best International Museum Architects Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2016
- Engineering News Record Southern California Building of the Year Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2015
- AIACC Residential Awards, Single-Family Residential Oberfeld Residence 2014
- Southern California Development Forum, Built Award Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2014
- American Architecture Award Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2014
- Engineering News Record California Cultural Project of the Year Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2014
- AIA|LA Presidential Award The Getty Villa 2006
- National AIA Honor Award Somis Hay Barn 2004
- American Architecture Award MODAA 2007
- Honor Award, ACEC California 2018 Engineering Excellence Awards Rainbow Bridge 2018
- 15 Innovative Pedestrian Bridges (And Their Construction Details) - Arch Daily 2018
- From Shiny to Rusty: 10 Impressive Examples of Metal in Architecture - Archinect 2018
- Here are LA’s 5 Biggest Construction Projects Approved in April - The Real Deal LA 2018
- Modern LA Homes to Inspire Your Next Renovation - LA Confidential 2017
- Frank Gehry and the 10 Hottest Architects Changing L.A. Real Estate - The Hollywood Reporter 2016
- Q & A with Zoltan Pali - Architect's Newspaper 2014
- SPF:a's Modern Addition - Architect Magazine 2014
- Across the Los Angeles River, A Statement in Steel Reconnects the City's Urban Fabric - Architect's Newspaper 2014
- Review: Wallis Annenberg Center is a Step Forward for Beverly Hills - LA Times 2013
- Zoltan Pali Designs LA's Most Iconic Spaces - LA Confidential 2013
- SPF:a Blends Exciting Spaces with a Sense of Architectural Serenity - Residential Architect 2012
- Famed Architects to Finally Create Movie Museum in LA - Time Magazine 2012
- The Ranch, Refined - LA Times 2008
- Perched for Perfection - Innovative Homes 2006
- Walking the Line - Architectural Digest 2003
Interested in joining our team?
Get in touch: email@example.com