By Utility & Wonder
SPF:a is an award-winning firm specializing in the design of small- and large-scale works that touch both the private and public spirit.
Our practice is anchored in a rigorous pragmatic, holistic philosophy. We aim to uncover truths, pursue the unexplored, and challenge conventions in architectural and urban organization; we speak the language of our builders and engineers, and we have a strong culture of critique and communication.
We want to make things perform better, look better, and awaken their environment. And so we give care to our clients’ goals and investments and endeavor to balance them with our pursuit to enhance the human experience and our communities.
Our team is energetic, cooperative, and diverse. Together, our capabilities include all phases of project development, from research and conceptual design to schematics, design development, construction documents, bidding, negotiations, and contract administration.
Zoltan E. Pali, FAIAFounder + Design Principal
Zoltan leads SPF:a's award-winning studio, a team that has been recognized with over 80 national and regional design accolades. Prior to founding SPF:a in 1990 with partner Judit, he worked closely alongside Jerrold E. Lomax, FAIA, a case study maestro and one of the original LA-12. In 2005, Zoltan was inducted into the American Institute of Architects College of Fellows.
Judit M. Fekete-Pali, LEED APFounder + Creative Director
Judit been responsible for the strategic direction and artistic vision of SPF:a since launching the firm with partner Zoltan in 1990. Aside from serving as the firm’s managing principal, she is also the head curator of the SPF:a Gallery, founded in 2007 and focused on the symbiotic relationship between art and architecture.
- Residential Design Architecture Honor Award, Contextual & Vernacular Renovation/Restoration/Preservation Morgan Phoa Library & Residence 2020
- AIA|LA Residential Architecture Award, Multi-Family Residential, Citation The Line Lofts 2019
- AIA|LA Residential Architecture Award, Single-Family Residential, Merit Orum Residence 2019
- Engineering News-Record National Best of the Best, Landscape/Urban Development Rainbow Bridge 2019
- Engineering News-Record Southern California Project of the Year Rainbow Bridge 2018
- Southern California Development Forum Design Award, Civic Rainbow Bridge 2018
- Southern California Development Forum Design Award, Multi-Family Residential The Line Lofts 2018
- Los Angeles Business Council, Landscape Architecture Award Rainbow Bridge 2018
- Southern California Development Forum Design Award Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles 2018
- Gold Nugget Award, Commercial, Merit WE3 at Water's Edge 2017
- California Preservation Foundation Design Award Morgan Phoa Library & Residence 2017
- AIA California Council Award, Single-Family Residential Double Stick 2016
- Residential Architect Design Awards, Renovation/Adaptive Reuse Morgan Phoa Library & Residence 2016
- Engineering News-Record Southern California Building of the Year Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2015
- AIACC Residential Awards, Single-Family Residential Oberfeld Residence 2014
- Southern California Development Forum, Built Award Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2014
- American Architecture Award Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2014
- Engineering News-Record California Cultural Project of the Year Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2014
- AIA|LA Presidential Award The Getty Villa 2006
- National AIA Honor Award Somis Hay Barn 2004
- American Architecture Award MODAA 2007
- Honor Award, ACEC California Engineering Excellence Awards Rainbow Bridge 2018
- AIA California Council Design Merit Award Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts 2018
- Before & After: A master architect passes the torch in Malibu - Los Angeles Times 2020
- The Best Residential Architects in Los Angeles (2020) 2020
- New Architecture Los Angeles - Prestel Publishing 2019
- The Orum Residence, a UFO in Bel-Air - Numéro 2019
- Infrastructure Demolition Attracts Local Firms - Los Angeles Business Journal 2019
- Modern Mix - Gio Journal 2019
- Helice de Verre - Artravel 2019
- The 50 Best Houses of 2019 - ArchDaily 2019
- Discover Los Angeles Architecture Studios Through the Lens of Marc Goodwin - Arch Daily 2019
- The Best Green Architects in Los Angeles - LA Architects 2019
- A Los Angeles Home Shaped Like an Airplane Propeller Asks $56 Million - Wall Street Journal 2018
- Architizer's 2018 World's Best Projects - Phaidon 2018
- Kulturelle Infrastruktur – Rainbow Bridge - Architektur Fachmagazin 2018
- 15 Innovative Pedestrian Bridges (And Their Construction Details) - Arch Daily 2018
- Here are LA’s 5 Biggest Construction Projects Approved in April - The Real Deal LA 2018
- Modern LA Homes to Inspire Your Next Renovation - LA Confidential 2017
- Frank Gehry and the 10 Hottest Architects Changing L.A. Real Estate - The Hollywood Reporter 2016
- Q & A with Zoltan Pali - Architect's Newspaper 2014
- Across the Los Angeles River, A Statement in Steel Reconnects the City's Urban Fabric - Architect's Newspaper 2014
- Review: Wallis Annenberg Center is a Step Forward for Beverly Hills - LA Times 2013
- Zoltan Pali Designs LA's Most Iconic Spaces - LA Confidential 2013
- SPF:a Blends Exciting Spaces with a Sense of Architectural Serenity - Residential Architect 2012
- The Ranch, Refined - LA Times 2008
- Walking the Line - Architectural Digest 2003
Interested in joining our team?
Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org